Basically, a band saw containing a toothed type of steel blade that is passing through the two band wheels. You can take a band saw for cutting different kinds of materials like- metal, plastic, wood, or meat, held between the wheels. But before cutting the material, you must set up the device in different ways for the variations of the materials.
When you are deciding to work with the band saw, you have excellent ideas about the health and safety risks. You always try to eliminate or reduce the risk with more and more practice. When the workers are using a bandsaw, take the highest level of protection to minimize the risk. For this, you have to know how to use a bandsaw safely first.
Risks Factors When Using Band Saws
Especially for the beginners, who want to work with the bandsaw can introduce different types of risk factors. But with the passes of time and experiences, these factors may reduce. You can take different types of controlling measures to work with the band saw that you should consider. The steps that taken for bandsaw safety are-
- Engineering control
- Substitution control
- Administrative control
- Personal protective equipment or PPE
Here I am trying to provide some guidance on the risk factors that you have to face during the use of this powerful tool and also give you some ideas about how you can minimize them and live under a hazard-free workplace.
1. Contact With the Blades
During working time, any time you have to contact with the blade. It may cause cuts and, in the long run, gangrene.
Effective Way to Manage the Risk
- Allow more space near the operator to avoid accidents.
- Isolate the bandsaw to minimize the risk.
- Must interlock the band guars over the band wheels to avoid such accidental issues.
- If you want to minimize the situations, try to adjust the blade guide and also the guards near to the materials that you want to cut. By following this way, you can prevent the reaching of the fingers with the contact of the blades.
- When you need to push small pieces of materials near the blade, use push sticks or other aids to move them.
- At a time, do not cut multiple pieces of materials. Try to cut one type.
- Do not try to push a wide blade on a small curve radius that can relieve the curve on tight curves.
- Avoid arranging the pieces of materials to make sure that every component can move smoothly along the blade side.
- During using the braking systems, you must consider it to reduce blade run- downtimes to a minimum level. The overriding consideration should take the machine to a safe stop.
- Lock and stop all the power supplies before you clean, maintain, or adjust blades and guards.
2. Exposure With the Dust Particles
When you have close contact with dust, eye irritation, breathing problems, or lung damage can make your health condition worsen.
Recommended Ways to Manage the Risks
- You have to install exhaust ventilation systems.
- For respiratory protection, use proper safety glasses.
- Use the perfect glass of eye protection.
- Do the health monitor for your workers regularly with their consent. PPE can minimize the risk to protect your respiratory and eye protection.
3. Physical Damaging Task
Physical damage can cause muscular discomfort and pain. Sometimes it can create mental fatigue also.
Possible Ways to Manage the Risks
- To avoid the loss of concentration and mental fatigue, then please take rest while you are working.
- Use an extension table to support the workpieces.
- When you need to lift heavy workpieces, take support to lift it.
4. Close Contact With the Soluble Metal Cutting Oil
Most of the time, the metal cutting oils are so poisonous. So most of the oil can worsen the breathing problem and illness. Also, cause skin problems.
Suggested Ways to Manage the Risk
- Clean the fuels regularly and replace them when necessary.
- Use proper respiratory protection, eye protection, and gloves while handling the cutting fluids.
- Do regular health monitor for the workers on their consent.
5. Excessive Noise
Excessive or more than the desirable limit can cause hearing loss.
Ways to Manage the Risks
- Try to use a quieter band saw.
- Enclose and isolate noise tools.
- Monitor the level of noise and make sure that they are safe for the workers.
- Do the hearing screening for the workers.
- For hearing protection, use the proper glasses.
Protect the workers and also yourself from hearing loss by using proper PPE and monitor the hearing level regularly.
6. Slipping, Tripping and Falling
During this situation, it can cause injuries, cuts, and other trauma.
Ways to Manage the Risks
- Always clean the area around the bandsaw and make it dry. Otherwise, the workers may get sleep. Remove the waste materials.
- Always up to date the housekeeping procedure to avoid the risks.
Video: Related with the Risky factors During Using a Bandsaw
Literally, to maintain and to protect you and also the worker from any accidental situations, you have to carry out a risk assessment. Follow the appropriate structure and the guidance that I already discussed. Change the power bandsaw blades regularly to enable them to cut without force. One more thing I want to join here is, make a safe power tool is a plug play breaking solution that also has any restart and emergency stop system. All the information is suitable for the vertical band saw guards, and at the same time for the horizontal band saw.