When you want to do your work by yourself, you have a complete idea about grinder and angle grinder. You have to know which tools are appropriate for your job. First, you have to select the specific device properly; otherwise, the wrong selection can completely ruin your career.
Grinder and Angle Grinder both are grinders. But each tool can fulfill essential and different functions. So, first, we have to know the complete knowledge about grinder and angle grinder. Let us discuss these two types of grinders in brief:
The main difference between the grinder and the angle grinder is the device’s design, power, and size.
Grinder: This is versatile, a one-handed tool. They can perform and are mainly used for limited performance like sharpening, polishing, grinding, cutting lighter, and smaller materials.
Angle grinder: An Angle grinder is a powerful tool for cutting bigger and harder stuff. This grinder can do more significant and more substantial work, and the user must need two hands to handle this device.
Grinder vs. Angle Grinder
So, now let us discuss the differences between the grinder and the angle grinder. This article will give you more details about a grinder and an angle grinder.
|Power source||An air compressor can mainly power this type. Sometimes powered by the battery. Grinder’s power might have as low as 0.25 horsepower||Most angle grinders are about 1.8 horsepower. Electric( corded), Battery (cordless)|
|performance||Allows to deliver the most precise performance||On the other hand, angle grinders used for larger projects are required to complete quickly, and precision is not a priority.|
|Motor||The grinder has a motor of usually less than 1hp.||Most of the angle grinders have motors of between 3-7hp|
|Handheld tool||Grinders are versatile one-handed tools with heads that are either perpendicular to the drive shaft or parallel.||Angle grinder needs both hands to control the device|
|Size||Relatively smaller in size. The size ranges from this grinder is 5 inches in length with 11lbs.||Larger in size. More significant dimensions and more weight also. The angle grinder ranges from 12 inches and 6 + lbs.|
|Spinning||Grinders have a smaller disc, and the distance to spin by the disc or attachment is relatively less. But die grinders have got faster RPM than the angle grinder. Averagely grinder spins twice faster than angle grinder(21,000 RPM)||The angle grinders make an average of 11,000RPM|
|Disc size||The grinder’s disc size is smaller than the angle grinder’s disc size. Like, grinder discs range from 2 to 3 inches.||The Angle grinder’s disc size is comparatively more prominent than the angle grinder. Like, 4½ inch – 115mm (This is the most common)
9 inch – 230mm
7 inch – 180mm
6 inch – 150mm
5 inch – 125mm
|Speed||Fast: 15000 – 30000 RPM||Slower: 6500 – 20000 RPM|
|Best for||Simple and easy jobs like,
precision cutting and grinding,
Engraving glass, metal, and wood.
|More powerful rough grinding jobs like
cutting rebar, tiles, and masonry
remove mortar and rust
|Area||Cover smaller area comparing with an angle grinder||The angle grinder can work with the larger-diameter disc. It can cover a large surface area.|
|Surface area||Grinders are ideal for grinding and polishing holes, complex internal profiles, sharp curves, etc.||The angle grinder discs have a flat cutting surface to work better on flat surface areas. They also work well on external curved surface areas. Like, you can use an angle grinder to polish a car body.|
|Versatile||Grinders are entirely versatile. There are lots of different attachments with this device which can make this tool very valuable.||On the other hand, angle grinders are using for grinding and cutting purposes.|
|Price||Price is cheap||Expensive|
Besides the differences between these two types of grinders, there are lots of similarities also. We can’t forget that both the tools are safety equipment and can make our daily life very comfortable. The similarities between these two types are:
Similarities between Grinder and the Angle Grinder:
- Use different wheels or attachments on the head of the tools: Both angle grinders and grinders have the capability of running various accessories or wheels. Both of the grinders can use lots of tools for performing different types of regular tasks.
- Rotary type’s devices: Both the grinders are rotary type’s tools. They can spin wheels, attach, creating a force on the material.
- Both tools can create lots of debris, which can cause injury in your eyes. When you want to buy any of these tools or both of these tools, don’t forget to use goggles, gloves, and other safety equipment.
Which one is better for you?
It is suitable for you if you have both the tools in your toolbox, but here you come to know which tool is perfect for you. Depending on your necessity, you have to find out which tools are appropriate for you. You may consider the following factors before buying the perfect one:
If you want to buy only a grinder, you should find –
- If you need a lighter tool
- If you are going to do a smaller task, then you can use this tool
- If most of your work is grinding, cutting, and polishing small workpieces.
- If anyone wants to do a statuette on wood and stones.
If you want to buy an angle grinder, you should consider –
- If your primary task is cutting and grinding, then an angle grinder is suitable for you.
- If you need a powerful tool
- If your focus on heavy-duty application, then this tool is for you
- If anyone wants to polish and remove rust, then this tool is perfect
From the above discussion, you can select either the angle grinder or the grinder. But remember one thing, when you use any or both of these tools must see the manual correctly, follow the instructions, and use proper safety precautions. Safely use the tools and enjoy grinding.
What does the angle grinder do that the other tools can’t?
As a tool, Angle Grinder is a versatile and invaluable handheld power tool that can use for a variety of fabrication work for the workshop and contraction work. These tools are using for cutting and grinding iron, steel, metal roof cladding, steel sheeting, stone, concrete, slates, brick, and building tiles, PVC pipe, rusted bolts, rebar in concrete; sharpening garden tools, sanding wood, removing paint, cutting up trash for disposal, cleaning rust from steel, removing grout for tuckpointing, and for polishing metals.
There are many similar tools like an angle grinder, but these powerful tools can do all the grinding and polishing work well than other devices. There are almost 100 different types of angle grinder. Angle grinder uses different types of wheels and discs that can do different types of work. If you have used it anytime, you cannot work or live without this hardware.
With the right disc, an angle grinder can replace many devices that make your job easier and quicker. Depending on the materials you want to cut or grind, you can take different sizes, motor, and models.
Now let’s see what types of work an angle grinder can do safely:
- Metal cutting: Metal cutting tools are designed properly to cut metallic items quickly and easily. The types of disc depending on the thickness or hardness of the metal. With the help of a thin abrasive cutting wheel, you can cut sheet metal. With the help of a metal cutting chop saw and grinder, the construction worker can cut the rebar. This work is massive. If you want to do your job correctly, you have to take a high-power angle grinder. A quality angle grinder can cut steel very quickly. Soft materials like wood or plastic need fire or melt.
- Grinding: Grinding wheels and flap discs are essential for grinding jobs. The right grinding wheels selection is quite complicated; it depends on the desire surface finishing. First, install proper grinding wheels, then you are ready to grind, remove excess material, and do debarring and slope edge. For cleaning up welds, a metal grinding wheel is necessary.
- Sharpening: You can quickly restore any edge or sharpening a flat surface. Angle grinder’s grinding disc is appropriate for sharpening many of its tools. You have to skill appropriately for doing this job.
Remember that; the metal blade can be overheated with an angle grinder. When the temperature crosses the limit, the edge will be soft and change the color like blush. To avoid this kind of issue, frequently use a wet sponge or cloth.
- Paint removing: Using an angle grinder and wire cup, the auto body shop can nicely do its paint job. With the help of this combination, tools correctly remove the old paint above the flat surface without damaging the metal body. The auto artist then polishes the body before painting.
- Rust removal: Brushes and wire wheels of angle grinder also used for removing rust. When you want to keep the metal healthy, you have to clear the layer of the rust. By cleaning out all of the oxidized metal, and you can get a fresh and clean surface for the repair work.
- Cutting tile: This versatile tool can quickly do its cutting job of tiles, leaving a crisp over-even edge. Take a dry-cut diamond wheel which score is about 1/8 inch deep. This tool can work similarly to a wet tile saw but with much better performance.
- Stone cutting: A good grinder can cut nicely and smoothly any king of stones. If you use a dry-cut diamond blade for this task, a smaller angle grinder has extra mobility, making carpentry and other short cuts.
- Cutting masonry: Besides ceramic or tiles cutting, an angle grinder can also cut masonry properly. You need to install a diamond cutting wheel with the grinder and make sure no brick will stand on the way to reduce. You must use a powerful motor because masonry cutting needs more power.
- Cleaning metal: The wire wheel of the angle grinder can help you to clean the ore correctly. Use wire tools for cleaning dirt, chipped paint and rust, and even cement fragments from your devices. Wire wheels and brushes are handy for removing dust from metal. They are available in a variety of shapes for stripping or cleaning metal. You can use these tools for cleaning garden tools of dried cement and dirt.
- Restoring metal edge: With the help of a grinding wheel, an angle grinder can sharp the blade of shovels, hoes, and lawnmower blades. There is no need to sharpen the blade of these tools like a knife blade; you need to restore the edge to its original shape.
- Polishing: For making shiny looks over the aluminum surface, the polishing wheels or the buffing pad will be beneficial. It can bring the tools as it looks before. If the aluminum surface is filthy enough, you can start with a high grit grinding disc then move the polishing wheel.
- Remove motor: You need to change the older motor of an angle grinder without changing the damaging the bricks. For doing this job, you need to use a diamond tuckpointing wheel. To remove the older motor, you need to pass the grinding wheels several times.
- Curving wood: You can cut wood pulp easily by using a scratchy carving disc. This job is seamless for rough-shaping wood. You can rub on this job for beautifying your kitchen table lag or your babies’ dollhouse.
- Planning wood: A carving wheel of an angle grinder can handle a much more full range of planning tasks. The carving wheel has a toothed surface. Remember that you don’t apply too much force during sanding because it might cause an accident.
From the above discussion, you can be sure that an angle grinder is a versatile tool. It can meet your different needs as merely switching the wheels. We all know that, like an angle grinder, not all the devices are entirely perfect and can do all the work at a time. So, first, you have to fix your job, then you need to choose the ideal model suitable for you. However, from the above discussion, we can find out that it does all the things better than most other tools.