The smartest investment that we are using in our daily life is nothing but the perfect brad nailer. When you want to do your carpenter work or any woodworking job with a hammer, you cannot work as quickly as the nail gun can. So, doing a big project, you must need a handy and powerful tool like a brad nailer.
Just like the other power tool, a nail gun also needs proper maintenance to last the device longer and get better finishing work. Sometimes, it may feel that the maintenance takes too much time, but in the long run, it will save our valuable time and money as well. On the other hand, it can extend the life of a gun.
Moreover, depending on the gun types and the model, the maintenance process varies. So, a pneumatic nail gun needs some extra maintenance rather than an electric or cordless nail gun.
Powered by the air compressor, a pneumatic nail gun needs more care. Let’s see, what kind of Maintainance should I take to maintain a brad nailer–
Lubrication: Lubrication needs to keep your nail gun in working condition every time. Lubrication means applying oil to your tool. And, use the fixed oil, which is perfect for your specific device. Must add the oil inside the machine’s moving parts and the fitting of the bottom parts.
The oil keeps your gun working smoothly. When the nail gun is running all day long, use the oil frequently all day long. Each day must use 4 to 5 drops of oil. Inside the air-fitting O- rings area, use the lubricating oil with your finger.
Besides this nail gun, there is also some specific nailer that doesn’t need any lubricating oil. So, before doing this process, you must read the manual given with this device.
Cleaning and feeding: If you want to get the perfect performance, you must regularly clean the feeding system of the nailer.
After using the tool every day, you must clean it properly. That means, if you use your device regularly, you must clean your machine after every use. With the help of compressor air, you can clean your tool. Use the compressor air to blowing out the dust particles that stuck inside the feeding system.
Besides the compressor air, you can use a rag to wipe down the system when you use your tool again. But keep it in your mind that the rag won’t leave any pieces of fabricks behind which can stick the feed system.
Check all screws and bolts monthly: Not every day; every month, tight your bolts and screws of your nailgun. When the gun is working, it is vibrating. Over time all the vibration and heavy uses of this gun tend to lose the screws and bolts. Sometimes some screws loose during shipping.
So, when you notice that the screws and bolts will be loose, don’t make them late; tighten them as soon as possible. Keep it in your mind that this power tool will be hazardous if you don’t maintain it properly.
Check the hosing: With the help of the hose, the power supply to the nail gun for smoothing operation. The pressure of the nail gun depends on the quality of the hose. Before every use, check the crack or other damage to the hose. If there is any damage to the hose, it will interrupt the airflow of that gun. So, replace and repair the air hose if you notice any damage.
Check the seal: From time to time, the seal of a pneumatic nail gun needs to change. A bad seal can lose the power of the nail gun and damage quickly. So, you must check the seal before every use and modify the seal if needed.
Avoid moisture and exposure: A surrounding environment also can damage the pneumatic nail gun. For example, airborne particles can clog different components of the pneumatic nailer. In the coastal region where you can see the moisture and salt level is high, you can find this clogging system.
So, use an airtight box or a Systainer case to store the device. Keep the device away from the dust and sand of that area. Thus you can also avoid the tool’s system failure, rusting, and corrosion.
Heed the RECs: If you use the nail proper tools, you can avoid different damage types. Before starting the nailing job, you must use the correct size and type of nail. Place the gun properly and look at the angle during nailing.
Check the manufactures properly and avoid misfiring caused by low air pressure. Too much and too little air pressure both are harmful to your device. And if you continuously give wrong air pressure, the device will damage in the long run.
So, finally, you have to keep in mind that every nailer has different types of cleaning and using the system. Like other devices, a nail gun needs regular maintenance to keep them running for a long time. Some brad nailer needs more maintenance than others, so read the manual, sometimes videos given with the manual. Check the videos also for using your favorite nailer. At the same time, try to follow the above tips and enjoy your nailing job.
What Safety Features Should I Follow During Nailing
Comparing with other nail guns, a brad nailer is a little bit smaller than other heavy-duty finish nail guns—a Brad nailer using an 18 gauge nail for doing more dedicating and finishing work.
Remember that you cannot do your job without taking any safety precautions just because of the smaller nails. So, doing your nailing job correctly, you should follow the following steps-
- Make the place secure: When you perform any job related to power, too, set in your mind that you should keep the area safe. Keep the area clutter-free. The kids and also the pet animals are not safe while doing the nailing job.
- Use proper hearing protection: While using the air compressor nail gun, don’t forget to use appropriate hearing protection to avoid annoying sounds.
- Use safety equipment: When using power tools like brad nailer, use adequate safety equipment. Use G-87 types of safety glasses. When you discharge the nailer, some particles may come with the air and enter your eyes.
You must use hard-wearing safety equipment, also another item that. Like, use a pair of still capped boots to protect your feet from penetrating the brad.
Put your shirt inside the belt and clip your long hair properly. Try to avoid using loose dresses during the nailing job.
- Regulate the air pressure correctly: Before using the nailer, regulate the air pressure accurately; otherwise, you may damage the tool or injured yourself.
- Use a coupling: at the end of the nailer where you attach the hose must use a coupling. This coupling not only connects the air hose but also safely all the inside pressure of the tool.
- Placing your hand: During nailing, don’t put your hand under the working area or wooden block. Because during nailing, the nail may go through the other side and penetrate your hands.
- Knowing your tool correctly: If you are a new user in this sector, try to gather more knowledge about the nailer that you are working with. My review article will give you enough information about the top-rated products. Awar of the product and see the instruction provided with the product and, last of all, use the product safely.
- Trigger: The sequential trigger is the safest option while the contract trigger is operating quickly. You can avoid accidental firing if you use the sequential trigger because the control is in your hand.
- Disconnect the compressor: After finishing your job, disconnect the compressor. Without disconnecting the compressor, don’t leave the device unattended.
- Use dominated hand: Don’t try to use the nail gun with your non dominated hand.
So, safety comes first. We should always keep it in our mind while operating any power tool. Use the device very carefully and maintain it properly, then you can get the exact service of this excellent power tool. Once you are comfortable and familiar with this brad nailer, you cannot live without this wonderful device.