Most of the power tools not only can perform one task but also can do several jobs. So, if you are a woodworker or auto detailed, you will be willingly agreeing to keep this random orbital sander in your toolbox. This power tool we often see in the auto body shop, garage, and wood shop for sanding, polishing, buffering, and over different kinds of materials. So, now let us know how you can use a random orbital sander for car polishing? You know, though the orbital sander directly is not built for polishing the car, adding with some extra accessories and extra effort, you can get the best result for polishing purposes.
An orbital sander can do a fantastic performance during car polishing activities. During the time of car polishing, you need to look at the following things-
- Power: You need to be sure that your sander is powerful enough during car polishing activities. This sander is for oscillating and rotating thin sandpapers, while thick foam buff pads are tough for acting.
- Backing plate: Without a backing plate, you cannot do your polishing job. You have to change the backing plate according to the buff pad. So before starting your activities, check the proper buffing pad and backing plate and backing plate configuration.
- Buff pad: Instead of sandpaper, you have to use a buff pad. But don’t forget to use it according to the size and power of the sander.
- Speed: Too much high speed during operation can damage the polish and paint. So, you have good knowledge to control the speed of the device.
- Orbital radius: Small orbital space can heat the surface before finishing the job. This is another factor for the polishing job.
- Clean sander needed: Before starting your polishing job, you must consider the dustless sander because dust particles inside the sander can scratch the paint. So, either you have to use a brand new sander, or you need to use the super clean sander.
- If these issues create, here in this article, I will show you the solutions also:
- Power: You need to use a decent power sander for this activities. And also use a thin foam pad. You can use either a Dual Action Sander, Porter Cable 7424/ a Maguire’s G110v2/ or a Griot’s Garage ROP. These are powerful, with around 4.5 AMP.
- Backing plate: You can find out different types of backing plates in the market, no need to worry about this.
- Speed: Try to keep the momentum at a minimum level. The polishers have an RPM of 1000 gear. All the foam pads cannot support this speed, so try to use Maguire’s microfiber disc, which will help thin foam pad.
- Orbital radius: You have to take a long time to do this job. You need to do switch off the sander for once in a while to let it cool.
- Clean the sander after every use. Don’t worry about buying another new sander. If you clean your previous sander properly, you can do your car polishing job for a long time. And the device also lasts long.
Here I want to give you some tips for making your polishing job much exciting and easy:
- Sander does not wish to any soft parts outside, so make sure not to contact the paint with the device.
- You have to purchase pads from the renowned sector.
- For speed purposes, the perfect speed to use with wool pads for more massive cutting is 2000-2500 RPM. And the final finishing polish needs at 1100-1300 RPM. Again, for light cutting with wool pads polish at 1600-1800 RPM.
- When using the rotary buffer, the orbital polishing job is much more comfortable. But without experience, you cannot handle the buffering tool. I need to be more professional while using this tool.
- There are different kinds of pads for different uses, like foam pads, microfiber pads, and wool pads. The wool pad is batter for rotary buffer instead of the orbital polisher.
So, here I am confident that I can show you lots of guidelines on how you can polish your car with the perfect random orbit sander. You can look at this article carefully, and I am sure it will be helpful for you, and you can depend upon this article.