The best part related to woodworking is sanding. But when you are starting your sanding job, lots of problems arise, like sandpaper clogging. When you are doing a lot with the sander over the floor and furniture surface, the sanding device will be gumming up quickly.
So, we have to look at the reason and the prevention steps of this severe problem. This tool is great for the woodworker. I already analyze lots of things regarding this, and this article will be beneficial for you.
Now, let us see why does sandpaper clogs on a random orbit sander?
Sandpaper clogging is a common but severe problem for us. So, before preventing the problem, we have to identify why this problem arises-
- Finishing techniques: Some finishing items of the wood like lacquer, which is very sticky, shellac, and most of the time, oil-based varnishing techniques can produce gumming the sandpaper.
- Different types of materials for floor finish: Lots of reasons are responsible for forming corns, like varnishes, resin, and another different type of sticky flammable substances which is not liquefied in water.
- Incomplete drying: If the sanding materials are not properly dried, then the result will be gumming or clogging up the sandpaper quicker.
- Longer use and more pressure: If you use the orbital sander for a longer period or give more pressure during sanding, then the device will generate more heat. Additional muscle pressure may create faster and frequent clogging.
- Smooth sandpapers: Comparatively smoother sandpaper of the grit and produce more clog faster than the rough sandpaper. So, you need to select the sandpaper tactfully.
- More speed: You know that you have to operate the random orbital sander firmly and at a slow speed. When you increase the speed, the device may generate lots of heat. Ultimately clogging arise.
- Different reasons: Besides the above reasons, there are also some other reasons responsible for clogging. Like- frequently uses the sandpaper, lack of proper cleaning after uses, too much dry sandpaper.
No matter what will be the reason we have to solve the problem of clogging; otherwise, we cannot perform with this powerful tool effectively. Don’t be worry; here I am giving you some prevention method of how can you avoid clogging?
- Choosing the right one: You can buy different types of sandpapers from the market, but you have to choose the right one which is appropriate for you. The smoothness and the roughness are responsible for the whole process. You have to select the sandpaper-
- Based on the grit system: Based on the grit no, you can identify the smoothness or roughness. Grit numbers can range from about 24 up to 2000. Depending on the work you have to decide.
- Smooth sandpapers: Smooth sandpaper has more grits starting from 200 or more, usually used for light sanding job.
- Coarse sandpapers: Lesser grit sandpaper or coarse sandpaper are usually using for heavy-duty purposes. Rough sandpaper is used for uneven surfaces and can remove heavy materials. It can remove more scratches and appropriate for blogging the congestion up of sandpapers.
- Based on the sandpaper materials: Different kinds of materials are using for making sandpapers. You have to select the correct one affording to your needs.
- Ceramic sandpapers: This reddish-brown sandpaper is using for power sanders. They can do their best performance for rough sanding and remove deep wood.
- Silicon carbide sandpapers: This waterproof sandpaper can do smooth surface finishing, polishing, and coating, including fiberglass, metal, and plastic.
- Aluminum oxide sandpapers: You can use this sandpaper, which comes in sheet either machine or manually. This paper is convenient for different kinds of work, like- wood surfaces, metal, or painted finish as well.
- Garnet sandpaper: Generally, you can get it in sheet and best for light sanding delicate job.
So, choosing the best sandpaper based on your sanding job can reduce the clogging of your device.
- Use dry sandpaper: This type of sandpaper is specially coating with dry lubricants like stearated zinc. This coating system can reduce gumming up of the sandpaper.
- Reducing heat generation: When you operate the sander at high speed and pressure, the device can generate enough heat. Need to set the speed and pressure at an average limit when you are operating the tool. And try to give sufficient interval during operation.
- Use of lubricants: Using lubricants is an optional element for the sandpaper. If you use to lubricate, including water or oil, it can create a layer over the sandpaper and can reduce clogging.
But must remember that you can use the lubricant only after the final coating, otherwise it can penetrate inside the wood and damage the wood quality.
- Dry properly before sanding: It is recommended that dry properly before sanding. Give enough time for drying the sanding surface; otherwise, the heat increase. Which can create corn stick with the sander?
- Perform as the machine: Vibratory machines can produce enough power and power. So, while operating this device, you need to give extra attention. Don’t give extra pressure during operation.
- Using sanding sealer: Sanding sealer can increase powdering properties. Which helps reduce clogging.
Any type of renovation or finishing job sanding is a must. So when you use random orbit sandpaper, you need to reduce clogging up the sandpaper to get the optimal result. The above article is showing you the reasons and what you should do during sanding without clogging. Find the reasons why your sandpaper clogged and apply proper techniques to reduce the clogging.
Hopefully, you can get a convenient solution, and this article will helpful for you to operate the device with less effort and cost.